Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Liquid Plain

Hello People of the Interwebs!

Today, I'll be reviewing 'The Liquid Plain', by Naomi Wallace, a play that I saw as a part of the TRaC, or the Teen Reviewers and Critics, Program, run by Arts Connection. It's a great program, and they do it for completely free! Check them out here. Anyway, into the review!

Image Credit to signaturetheatre.org

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

This play was absolute perfection.

This is the Teenage Critic, signing o-

Fine. I'll write a bit more. The story of this play follows two runaway slaves, Adjua and Dembi, who have been working in Rhode Island to make money for... something. They find a dead body under the docks that they live on, and they strip his body. Unfortunately, the body is not dead. I can't say much more without spoilering the entire show. So I won't.

What struck me first was the set. If you have a show with no curtain, you can say a lot with the set. The set was a steel structure in the back, and a simple wooden dock. This allows for such a versatile usage of the space, where you can switch between settings easily, without making drastic set changes. The show opens with a single wooden chair in the center of the stage. Then, after a little while, probably 10 minutes before the show starts, a woman, dressed in white and with her shoulders and face covered in a white powder, comes onstage and sits next to the chair, almost statue-like. Even before you know what that means, you're struck with a powerful feeling.

The actors complement the story and writing very well with their performances. You can see the full cast list here.

There's a lot that I love about this play. But there aren't enough words that capture my true feelings about it. All I can really say now is that this play's quality is on the same level as Patrick Stewart's and Ian McKellan's 'Waiting for Godot' and 'No Man's Land'. I highly recommend that you go to see it; it's worth so much more than the ticket price. Absolute brilliance. Check out the website here to buy tickets!

This is the Teenage Critic, signing off!

Like The Teenage Critic on Facebook here. You can email the Teenage Critic at criticteen1@gmail.com. Feel free to send me your suggestions for movies to review, or just to send me your opinions and fan mail. Follow me on Twitter, @Thomas_Pflanz

No comments:

Post a Comment